Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sketchbook Pages

Saturday, Dec. 27, 2008
The sketch on the left is from "Desert View Overlook" on Hwy 158 up in the Mt. Charleston area. It's looking across the valley into the Sheep Mountain Range. Bill and I parked and walked out to the point along the trail (there is a railing there because of the drop-off.) There was about a foot of snow and on the trail it was packed to slippery ice. I sketched the view and began the color wash but after a few minutes I noticed a lot of chunks of ice in my brush tip and on my pocket palette. Apparently it was so cold that the water was freezing as I was squeezing it out of my Niji brush! Since it was too cold to paint we decided to head back to the car. We did see a beautiful red-tailed hawk from this area as well as the distant view. The sketch on the right is from a high point along Harris Ranch Road on Hwy 157. We parked the car, ate our lunch and sketched. Bill decided to take a short walk while I painted so he started to put his boots on. His boots that had been sitting in the garage for a couple of years unused. He then found a mouse nest in one of the Sorrels made from fluff pulled from the inner liner. There were also strips of computer paper, leaves, string and one gold wrapper from a chocolate coin! We found it quite amusing. Good thing you can get replacement liners for boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you!